Lately, since Sandy Hook, there has been a lot of discussion as to what can be done to prevent such a horrific tragedy in the future. Of course, the NRA came up with a solution that involved even more guns. Then, a suggested solution arose involving allowing teachers to bring guns into the classrooms. But, that, is a slippery slope.
Teachers, like everyone else in this world, are human. They possess the same flaws as anyone else. And, like anyone else, they too, could one day, just snap and harm their charges. So what then? Do we arm the first graders or any other student? Of course not! But taking the tone of arming the teachers suggests just that.
So, what can be done? Well, first, there is the mental health issue that must be faced head on, and parents with children who are documented as being mentally unstable should not be allowed to possess automatic weapons and multi-firing magazines. Two, there should be a ban on multi-firing magazines, period. That type of firing ability should be reserved for the military. Three, there should be a ban on assault weapons. Who needs them? The people killers need them, for that is just what they are designed to do. Again, these weapons should be reserved for the military. And, lastly, the gun show loophole should be not just closed, but sealed. Most of the people who own or collect guns do not mind going through registration and/or background checks. Having said all of that, these laws should come with the penalty of jail. Hard time.
Our children are worth it.
- US teachers take up arms to prevent mass shootings (vanguardngr.com)
- Tennessee bill would allow armed teachers (timesfreepress.com)
- 27% Think Teachers Should Carry Guns (theatlanticwire.com)
- NRA President David Keene Rejects Outline Of White House Gun Control Recommendations (huffingtonpost.com)
- 200 Utah educators take class on handling, having concealed gun in class (cnn.com)